Held annually in Bavaria, Germany, the Oktoberfest festival has become a worldwide celebration of Bavarian culture. People around the world celebrate Oktoberfest with friends, food and drinks. Celebrate the season and welcome autumn with an Oktoberfest party.
This year Oktoberfest runs from September 21 to October 6. The following are a few favorite food and drink suggestions sure to make your party as authentic as it is festive and fun.
- Roast chicken is a popular and favorite Oktoberfest item. Chickens are splitroasted until the skin is crispy and golden brown.
- Pork knuckles, also known as ham hocks in the United States, are savory Oktoberfest staples. The outside is crispy and the inside is tender. Pork knuckles taste delicious served along side sauerkraut or braised red cabbage and roasted potatoes.
- Sausages are important Oktoberfest menu items and have an endless array of options. Bratwurst, considered one of the most popular, is generally made from veal, beef or pork.
- Bavarian soft pretzels are a must for any Oktoberfest party. The pretzels have a toasted, salted and brown crusted outside and a soft and chewy inside.
- Potato salad is the perfect side dish to any entree. Traditional German potato salad consists of Yukon Gold potatoes, chopped bacon, grainy mustard and chives.
- Samuel Adams Oktoberfest Beer is a popular pick in the US. It has a smooth and roasty sweetness.
- Ayinger Oktober Fest-Märzen, a German, golden colored brew offers a rich and deep flavor with a medium to big body.
- Sierra Nevada Oktoberfest has a rich amber color and a smooth malty flavor.
- Sudwerk Märzen is brewed in Davis, CA. It is a dark amber with an intricate array of caramel and bready malt and caramelized notes and melanoidins.
- Munsterfest Lager is a Märzen style lager that adheres to the German Reinheitsgebot law. This means the brew includes only water, malt, hops and yeast.
Celebrating the season with an Oktoberfest party is the perfect way to get creative and sample food and beer that you otherwise may miss out on. For help planning your party and for more food and drink ideas, download the PartyLifter app.
PartyLifter provides bartenders, servers, DJs, photographers and decorators and lets you select drinks and food for your parties and events.